Monday, July 12, 2010

Andahuaylillas Catholic Church of St. Peter and St. Paul


 Okay.... the best laid plans.... I didn´t realize my camera was set on video instead of photo when I handed my camera to Raul, my guide for the day.  So this video is to prove I indeed did visit the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul


Although you would never guess it from looking at the outside of this church, it was the very first Catholic Church built by the Spanish in South America!  The church is under continual renovation.  While I visited the church, artists were painting the massive cedar side alters with 24 c gold leaf.

The main alter of the church goes from floor to ceiling, made out of cedar wood and covered with 24 k gold leaf.  I think to myself, what must this church have looked like at night when it was lit only by candles?
A number of things make this church so different form any of the other Catholic churches I´ve seen, one the fresco paintings which cover almost all of the inner walls of the church.  Another is the ceiling, which can be partially seen on both the above and below photos.




In all of the Catholic churches throughout Peru, one is not allowed to take phtos of any kind inside the churches.  I´ve have gotten these, and other photos of the inside of Catholic churches off the Internet.



No comments: